An extension provides additional functionality (or extends existing functionality) in eZ Publish. It is called an extension because it plugs in to the eZ Publish core without requiring modifications to the original files. By placing new functionality in an extension, you can upgrade the eZ Publish version without affecting the extension.
Some examples of what you can do with extensions:
- save the design of a website / siteaccess
- create custom modules with new views and template fetch functions
- extend the template system with custom template operators
- program new workflow events, datatypes or login handlers
- synchronize publication contents between two (or more) different eZ Publish installations
Note for eZ Enterprise customers: There are also commercial extensions provided by partners for sales and distribution at eZ Market, (the eZ app store), available for enterprise customers only. Find more information on eZ Market on our web pages.