What is eZ Publish?
eZ Publish is an Enterprise Open-Source Content Management System/Framework (CMS/F) at its core. It provides a Content Repository, Content Management and Web Content Management ("WCMS") capabilities and is highly extendable. Its commercial Enterprise offering is named eZ Publish Platform, it comes with Support and Maintenance as well as a set of features and services offering an Enterprise-grade solution. It also offers the access to additional services provided through the Cloud covering the domain of Customer Experience Management (CXM).
What is eZ Publish 5?
Version 5 represents a big step forward for eZ Publish, as it introduces a whole new architecture and embraces the full Symfony2 stack and community around it. As is often the case with architecture, most of it is under the hood in current releases, and there is no new User Interfaces (UI) yet running on the new kernel; however with our "Dual-kernel" approach all existing UI's are still here running on legacy kernel.
From high level 5.x kernel is:
- “Ready for the future, data compatible with the past”: Content Repository accessible via Public API & REST API v2 (full read & write support)
- “Full Symfony2 access”: Symfony2 Full-stack as the framework, extended with eZ Publish features
- DemoBundle front-end on top of eZ's Symfony2 stack (read only)
- “Dual kernel: Full code and data backwards compatibility”: 5.x stack is not fully functional on its own, it's combined with 4.x ("legacy stack") in a "Dual-kernel" setup (see developer section for more) to be able to provide all features you would expect; this is fully exposed to website developers as well that want/need to take advantage of legacy stack, 5.x stack or both.
For more information on the status eZ Publish 5.x, known issues, change logs and architecture updates, see the latests release notes.
- Installing eZ Publish 5 (includes detailed specification of requirements)
- Upgrading to eZ Publish 5.2
- Architecture overview of eZ Publish 5.2
- Public API basics & Cookbook
- eZ Publish REST API