Example of a page viewed in Content mode
Elements of Content mode interface
The Navigation hub is common for the whole eZ interface. It allows you to jump to other work modes and to access administrator options.
The lower row of the Navigation hub lets you switch between viewing the Content structure and the Media library.
Navigation hub in Content mode
The Discovery bar is located on the left side of the window. It lets you navigate through your content structure:
- Minimize. Hides the Discovery bar and gives you a larger view of the main area.
- Content tree. Expands the Content tree.
- Trash. Shows the Trash screen with Content items that have been removed.
The Discovery bar is invisible when you are in the Edit mode.
The Action bar is located on the right side of the window. It allows you to conduct operations on the current Content item. The bar has different options depending on the mode you are in:
- Minimize. Hides the bar and gives you a larger view of the main area.
- Edit. Switches to Edit mode.
- Move. Opens the Universal Discovery Widget, allowing you to choose the location where to move the current Content item.
- Copy. Opens the Universal Discovery Widget, allowing you to choose the location where to copy the current Content item.
- Translations. Lets you jump to a different existing translation of the current Content item or to create a new one. See Editing content language versions.
- Send to Trash. Removes the current Content item. See Deleting content.
- Publish. Publishes the modifications made to the current Content item.
- Save. Saves modifications without publishing them (as a draft).
- Discard changes. Cancels all changes to the Content item you have made since the last save and exits the Edit mode.
- Preview. Lets you preview the content on different screen sizes, see Optimizing content.
Action bar in View mode
The main area shows you information about the current Content item in a number of tabs.
The View tab shows you the details of information contained in the Fields of the current Content item.
This is the only tab available in Edit mode where you can modify the data in the fields.
Main area with View tab open
The View tab only presents the data inside Fields, not what they will look like to the visitor. To preview the Content item in the exact way it will look in the website, you need to go to Edit mode and click Preview in the Action bar.
The Details tab contains general information about the Content item:
- Creator - login of the user who created the Content item and date of its creation
- Last contributor - login of the user who made the most recent modifications to the Content and date of these changes
- Versions - number of versions the Content item has
- Translations - number of translations the Content item has and their language names
- Content Id - number by which the Content item is identified in the system
- Location Id - number of the main Location of the Content item
- Content remote Id - Content id number used by the REST API
- Location remote Id - Location id number user by the REST API
Sub-items default ordering
16.04 OR LATER
This section allows you to decide how the sub-items (children) of this Content item will be sorted. You have the following criteria available:
- Content name
- Modification date
- Publication date
- Location path
Priority can be set in the Sub-items section below.
The Locations tab lists all Locations to which the Content item is assigned. One of them is selected as the main Location.
For each Location the following information is given:
- Path - path to the Location in the Content tree
- Sub items - number of Sub items under this Location
- Visibility - information whether the Location is visible or hidden from visitors. If it is currently visible, you can see a Hide button which lets you hide it. Conversely, if the Location is currently hidden, a Reveal button lets you make it visible again.
If you hide a Location, all of its Sub-items will be hidden as well (with a status of "Hidden by superior" displayed in this table).
- Main - checked for the main Location of the current Content item
Click Add location and select a node in the Universal Discovery Widget to assign the Content item to a new Location.
You can also check the box to the left of any Location(s) and click Remove selected to unassign any Location from the Content item.
Related content tab
This tab lists all other content related to the current Content item.
Relations between Content items can be created explicitly using a Content relation(s) Field, by embedding another Content item or by including a link to the Content item in an XML Field.
At the bottom of each tab is a Sub-items table with a list of all children of the current Content item (that is, the Content items that are located under the current one in the tree).
For each sub-item the following information is given:
- Name - name of the child Content item
- Visibility - information whether the Content item is visible or hidden in this Location
- Published - date on which the Content item was first published
- Modified - date on which the Content item was last modified
- Priority - priority used for sorting
Changing sub-item priority
When sorting by Priority is selected in the Sub-items default ordering section of the Details tab, children of the current Content item will be ordered according to the Priority that is set here. You can modify Priority by clicking the column and typing in a value, then confirming with Enter of clicking the check button.
16.04 OR LATER
You can switch the view of sub-items between list and grid view by clicking the buttons in the top right corner of the table.