Field Type Structure
The characteristics of a Field are determined by its Field Type. In eZ, a Field is made up of the following elements:
- Name - stores a user-friendly name that describes the Field:
- The name of a Field can consist of letters, digits, spaces and special characters.
- The maximum length is 255 characters.
- If a blank name is provided, eZ automatically generates a unique name for the Field.
Example: The title of the Article
- Identifier - stores the Name in the system. The internal use requires:
- no more than 50 characters.
- no special characters.
- underscore permitted.
- Description - gives details about the Field
Example: A brief description of the Article
- Generic controls - provides a set of common properties for all Field Types. These controls are the same for each Field, regardless of its Field Type. There are following generic controls available by default in the system:
- Field Group
- Field Type specific controls - provide a unique set of properties for each Field Type structure. Depending of those properties, you will have different configurations and then different behaviors.
Take the “Content relation (multiple)” Field Type: you can decide to have relation only to Content items of a specific Content Type or to Content items of any Content Type.
Basically, all Field Types have different properties.
You have an option of creating your own, custom Field Types, at a developer lever using PHP.
Preset Field Types
Below are listed the preset Field Types existing in every installation, as well as their specific controls.
You can also see all available Field Types by selecting the Almighty Content Type contained in the Platform Demo bundle.
|Field Type||Description||Specific controls|
|Authors||a list of authors, consisting of author name and email||-|
|Checkbox||checked or unchecked box||-|
|Content relation (single)||relation with a single Content item|
|Content relation (multiple)||relation with multiple Content items|
|Country||country selected from a drop-down list|
|Date and time||day date and time|
|E-mail address||a single e-mail address||-|
|File||a file of any type, uploaded from the user's system|
|Float||a floating-point number|
|ISBN||an International Standard Book Number|
|Image||an image uploaded from the user's system|
|Integer||an integer number|
|Keywords||a keyword or list of comma-separated keywords||-|
|Layout||a special Field Type for determining the layout of a Landing Page|
|Map location||location on a map, represented as a set of coordinates||-|
|Media||a media file, uploaded from the user's system|
|Rating||rating for a page||-|
|Rich text||a block of rich text|
|Selection||selection from a list of multiple choices|
|Text block||block of unformatted text|
|Text line||line of unformatted text (a simple string)|
|Time||hour and minute (and possibly second) time|
|URL||link consisting of a url and link text||-|
|User account||reference to a user account||-|