eZ Publish is an Enterprise Open-Source Content Management System/Framework (CMS/F) at its core. It is highly extendable so with extensions it provides "WCMS" capabilities. Its default Enterprise offering as of version 5.0, "eZ Publish Platform", is extended to provide full set of Customer Experience Management (CXM) capabilities.
What is new in eZ Publish 5
Version 5 represents a big step forward for eZ Publish, as it introdcuces a whole new architecture. But as is often the case with architecture; most of it is under the hood in current releases, and there is no new user interfaces (UI) yet.
5.x kernel is:
- Content Repository accessible via Public API & REST API v2 (full read & write support)
- Symfony2 based front-end/web-stack (read only)
- Work in progress DemoBundle on top of eZ's Symfony2 stack (read only)
5.x kernel is not:
- Fully functional on it's own, it's combined with 4.x ("legacy kernel") in a "Dual-kernel" setup (see developer section for more) to be able to provide all features you would expect
This is all true for both 5.0 AND 5.1, however only 5.1 should be considered ready for production as it is more Scalable, more Stable and more Feature Rich. Specifically the 5.x kernel now support DFS clustering, Persistence data cache and front-end has received some* of the most missing features the ecosystem expects from a front end eZ Publish web stack.
* For futher information on which features exists, are deprecated, part of Symfony or planned for the future, see: https://docs.google.com/a/ez.no/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgGKn8SQ_akMdFQ3VU0wMlR3cENxTDZ2dkhUcVN2SWc#gid=0 (Community maintained)
- Installing eZ Publish 5 (includes detailed specification of requirements)
- Upgrading to eZ Publish 5
- Architecture overview of eZ Publish 5
- Known issues in 5.0
- Public API basics & Cookbook
- REST API