- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
Link to this page? Please use the permalink
This document explains the release process for eZ Platform in it's two flavors:
- eZ Platform is an open source Content Management System (CMS) developed by eZ Systems together with the open source community. eZ Platform's code base is available on GitHub under the GPLv2 license. eZ Platform comes with no commercial support and maintenance services. It is supported by the community on public channels.
- eZ Platform Enterprise Edition (EE) is a commercial software available under eZ Business User License (BUL) to eZ Enterprise subscribers. It is comprised of eZ Platform Open Source edition, additional enterprise support and maintenance services, as well as additional features which are not available in the open source software.
We manage the release of eZ Platform using an agile iterative process and a continuous software development model, which is why we provide two kinds of eZ Platform releases:
- Long Term Support releases (LTS) which are supported by eZ Systems for a long period of time (see support lifecycle below), for eZ Enterprise subscribers.
- Fast Track releases (FT) give access to the latest features and are supported for a short period of time, only until the next FT release is introduced. These are supported for both the open source community and eZ Enterprise subscribers.
FT releases are tailored for those that want to stay more on the bleeding edge, while LTS releases are suitable for highly stable enterprise rollouts.
eZ Platform Open Source and Enterprise editions use Semantic Versioning.
eZ Platform and all inner components have a version number following the semantic versioning conventions vX.Y.Z.
- Changes to X, the first digit indicate a breaking change to the API, and developers know that they may need to implement a re-write of their code to continue consuming the API moving forward.
- Y, the middle digit represents new features and functionality.
- Z, The final digit represents patches, bug fixes, smaller improvements to unblock users and other forms of “oops” and “aha!”.
This way, distribution files of our product are as following:
eZ Platform uses its own unique semantic version number: ezplatform-vX.Y.Z.tgz
eZ Platform Enterprise uses its semantic version number: ezplatformenterprise-vX.Y.Z.tgz
Our software products are continuously evolving, and we have released many versions over the years.
As we strive to release stable products with cutting-edge technology, there is an obvious need for Software Maintenance services to provide bug fixes as well as adjustments for evolving web technologies. And, as our products always provide new features and possibilities, our documentation and user forums may not always be able to provide an answer to all questions that may arise. For that, our support and consulting professional services teams are available to assist as part of an eZ Enterprise subscription or as part of a specific statement of work. Contact our Sales team for more information.
Over time, existing product versions mature and new versions become the center of attention for customers wanting the latest and greatest in features and extensibility. We adapt to this continuous evolution by phasing out services for the old versions while commencing services for the new ones. This means that our support and maintenance services specific to each release are only available from a given start date until an end date. The time in between the start and end dates is what we call the product's Service Life.
This table provides an overview of the beginning and end of the Service Life of our products*.
First Ship Month (FSM)
Last Ship Month (LSM)
End of Service Life (EOSL)
Service Life Extension (SLE)
|eZ Platform 2019 LTS (v2.1 FT4)||March December 2018||December 2019||December 2021||Eligible. End of December 2022|
|eZ Platform v2.0 3 FT||September 2018||December 2017||March 2017||2018||February 2019||N/A (Fast Track)|
|eZ Platform v2.2 FT||March 2018||September 2018||November 2018||N/A (Fast Track)|
|eZ Platform v2.1 FT||March 2018||June 2018||August 2018||N/A (Fast Track)|
|eZ Platform 2018 LTS (v1.13)||December 2017||December 2018||End of December 2020||Eligible. End of December 2021|
|eZ Platform v1.12 FTOctober 2017||December 2017||N/A (Fast Track)||N/A (Fast Track)|
|eZ Platform v1.11 FT||August 2017||October 2017||N/A (Fast Track)||N/A (Fast Track)|
|eZ Platform 2017 LTS (v1.7)||December 2016||December 2017||End of December 2019||Not Eligible|
eZ Publish Platform 5.4 LTS
End of November 2017
Eligible. End of November 2021**
eZ Publish Platform 5.3 LTS
End of May 2017
Eligible. End of May 2019
Releases preceding eZ Publish Platform 5.3 have all reached their end of Service Life.
- FSM: The First Ship Month we accept installations to start using this version.
- LSM: The Last Ship Month we accept installations to start using this version.
- EOSL: End Of (normal) Service Life, the last month we provide Product Support and Software Maintenance services for a given version.
- SLE: Extended Software Maintenance which includes security updates beyond EOSL. Contact your sales representative for more details.
- Note: SLE is a "reasonable effort" product with no bug fix guarantee. Hence, under SLE it is not recommended to do new development like redesign, moving to new servers, new server operating system or similar. For such efforts, please upgrade to a version within normal service life.
- LTS: Long term supported release
* For individually agreed lengths of Service Life, please consult your contract. If it goes beyond EOSL it will effectively be valid under the terms of SLE. If beyond SLE time period when security maintenance has ended, "reasonable effort" product support is provided like before until end of contract period
** 5.4 being the last eZ Publish release, have an extended service life. NOTE: As of 2018 a viable alternative is eZ Platform v2 + legacy bridge which is now supported, which will be supported for just as long, and provide a lot more features to help ease the migration.
Our roadmap is updated continuously following ourd iterative development methodology (our own adaptation and combination of Scrum and Kanban). Our agile boards are open so that anyone can have a clear view of the ongoing and upcoming development. Progress is based on the prioritized stories from a living backlog into phases of specification and design, development and documentation, and QA. The final phase of our development includes a dedicated period of Certification and Quality Assurance, which ensures our ability to deliver a stable first version of the professionally supported software.
If you want to know more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to Contribute?
Our process being open, please feel free to report bugs or suggest features via our JIRA projects: the EZP Jira project for all things related to eZ Platform, and the EZS Jira project for all things related to eZ Platform Enterprise Edition.
If you'd like to help speed things up because you need a feature on a project, Epics in the Open state are relatively safe to jump on.
- Simply add a comment on the one you have already worked on or would like to start on among the epics on the board, and folks at eZ will try to help on specifying the feature.
- For discussions on how to tackle the feature technically, or anything else, reach out on https://discuss.ezplatform.com/ or on Slack using the self service sign on page.
- When a Pull request has been opened, most of the discussion will happen in the relevant github repositories.
- When a feature is done, you can help out on documentation by proposing documentation using for instance gist.github.com and link to them via comments on the Epics.